Types of Family-based Immigration in the Us 

There are several immigrants living in the US. Some people come to pursue their dream job, higher level of education, or to live with their family. However, several o.immigrant who had to go back was disappointed because the immigration visa application was rejected. So to ensure you are not one of those, you must hire a  Family-Based Immigration Lawyer who will guide you in each step of your application process.

It is challenging to spend so much time away from your family. While you can meet twice or thrice a year by traveling up and down, it is better to stay with your spouse or children forever and have the perfect family you always wished for. Although the application process is complex and lengthy, is it worth all the effort for the quality time and comfort you will spend with your family? 

Types of family-based immigration in the US

  • Unmarried adult children of US citizens 

If you have been living in America for quite some time with your spouse and wish to call your children there, too, they can apply for a family-based immigrant visa. However, to reach your adult daughter or son above 21 and not yet married, you must have legitimate citizenship, which signifies you as an American citizen. 

As a US citizen, you have certain rights to stay with your family in the country. Depending on the living criteria, you can also apply for a work permit under the family-based visa for your children so they can get a job after arriving in the country. 

  • Spouse and unmarried children of green card holders or permanent residents 

Even if you are not an official US citizen but hold a permanent residence in the country, you are eligible to call your spouse and unmarried children living in a foreign land. However, you can only call children who are still married, regardless of age. If your child is married, they will not be eligible to apply for a family-based visa, so they will have to find another way if they wish to live with you in America. 

Additionally, you can call your spouse once you gain permanent residency in the US and stay with them as long as you wish to in the country. Nevertheless, your spouse might not be able to be a green card holder in the country, but you can apply for a long-term family-based immigrant visa. If you do not want an immigrant visa, you can keep trying to apply for a family-based green card for your spouse.